Democratic Republic of Congo
In the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), an Association of Friends of ATD Fourth World has been in existence since 2012. It represents the formal recognition of the work of friends of ATD Fourth World since 1997 around the Tapori group in Bukavu in the South Kivu province, and later near Goma in North Kivu. Today, it includes contributions of young people throughout the country.
The principle actions of ATD Fourth World in DRC are:
- Tapori groups in several regions working to be the “friends for those who have no friends.” They visit children and young people who used to be soldiers or prisoners, children accused of witchcraft, and others who face exclusion in their lives. They then work to create friendship around them by building a welcoming community;
- The radio program, “Children of Courage,” aired by the local community radio NENO LA UZIMA and broadcast from Bukavu at 100.2 FM every Sunday from 3:15 to 3:30. The weekly program lets the children share news about their daily lives in Tapori and the importance of children’s rights, peace, and friendship;
- A Mountain Library, where over sixty children whose families live outside Bukavu come together to share books and creative activities;
- A group of families who come together in Burhiba to build solidarity and friendship;
- The Dynamic Youth in Bukavu, created by former Tapori members who have themselves become organizers. They support local Tapori groups in community work and organize meetings among young people;
- The World Day for Overcoming Poverty, organized every year on October 17 in collaboration with the local civil society and government organizations.