International Day for the Eradication of Poverty 2022
In-person and virtual UN commemoration
Date and time
Monday, October 17, 2022, 1:00 PM – 3:30 PM New York time
United Nations Headquarters: 405 East 42nd Street, New York, NY 10017 United States
Watch live on UN web TV
30th annual commemoration as a UN day
This year’s International Day for the Eradication of Poverty (IDEP) marks its 30th annual commemoration as a UN day.
The theme for 2022 is Dignity for All in Practice: The Commitments We Make Together for Social Justice, Peace, and the Planet.
– Carlos Hernandez, Activist with a direct experience of poverty and migration from Honduras
– H.E. Mr. Csaba Kőrösi, President of the 77th United Nations General Assembly (TBC)
– H.E. Mr. António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations
– H.E. Mr. Nicolas de Rivière, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of France to the United Nations
– H.E. Mr. Seydou Sinka, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Burkina Faso to the United Nations
– Ms. Nupur Kukrety, Policy Specialist, UNICEF
– Mr. Andrew Holohan, Activist with a lived experience of poverty from Ireland
– Ms. Julia Miranda, Ms. Juliette Pradlik, and Ms. Kattleya Santeliz (performers)
– Ms. Aye Aye Win, President, International Committee for October 17.
– Children from Hudson Montessori School
– Group performance – Bonse Aba, Trad.
– Zambian Folk Song, arranged by Victor C. Johnson. Chorus led by Mr. Robert Lanaghan
– Donald Lee, President, International Movement ATD Fourth World
Every year, IDEP presents an opportunity to acknowledge the efforts and struggles of people living in poverty, for them to make their concerns heard by the UN system and Member States, and for the world to recognize that they are the first ones to fight against poverty. Today, they are also the most affected by the impact of the global pandemic and climate change.