Stop Poverty Campaign
A Global Campaign in 2017 to Reach New Communities and Partners
“Wherever men and women are condemned to live in poverty, human rights are violated. To come together to ensure those rights be respected is our solemn duty,”
Joseph Wresinski, founder of ATD Fourth World
Call to Action from the first World Day for Overcoming Poverty
In 2017 around the world, people united by this call to action, launched on the first World Day for Overcoming Poverty, participated in a global stop poverty campaign. This campaign included:
- Telling a diversity of stories: Compiling and making known the many Stories of Change, in English, French and Spanish that show when we work together poverty and social exclusion can be overcome, which builds peace.
- Joining our voices together: To celebrate the courage and efforts of people living in poverty throughout history, featuring their songs of resistance and hope in shows and concerts.
- Spreading a call to action in the context of the newly adopted Agenda 2030 with the support of a wide range of people and organizations: What can we do to leave no one behind?
- Conferences and seminars: Imagining, alongside those in poverty, a society without poverty.
- From October 14 to 17, 2017, simultaneous events around the world, including at the headquarters of the United Nations, broadcast on many radio stations, on television, and on the internet, letting those who resist poverty in their daily lives be heard.
- The official campaign website launched in February, 2017 and closed in 2018. Events were organized throughout the year.
Downloadable documents from the 2017 Stop Poverty Campaign:
“With My Own Two Hands” co-produced for the Stop Poverty Campaign with Playing for Change has been seen over 630,000 times and counting.