ATD Fourth World works in several regions and villages of the Island of Mauritius: Beau Bassin, Anoska, Chebel, Vuillemin, Richelieu, Petite-Rivière, Souillac, African Town et Bois Marchand.
The priorities for the work of ATD Fourth World Mauritius are:
- Accompanying families in extreme poverty as they seek to have their basic rights respected,
- Bringing communities together for the World Day for Overcoming Poverty,
- Raising awareness and understanding of the work of Joseph Wresinski, founder of ATD Fourth World,
- Building friendship and solidarity between children through Tapori groups,
- Building partnerships with different NGO’s working with families in extreme poverty so that their ideas and experience are taken into consideration,
- Strengthening the skills of the most marginalized adults and encouraging them to think and work with other actors in society through Merging Knowledge (this project resulted in a report being presented to the President of the Republic of Mauritius in 2012),
- Supporting the financing of ATD Fourth World by participating in campaigns such as “Flag Day.”
ATD Fourth World has been present in Mauritius since 1980.