ATD Fourth World has been active in Madagascar since 1989. Currently, there is a team of ATD Volunteer Corps members in the capital city of Antananarivo, and groups of ATD friends in several other cities.
In Antananarivo, the ATD team works in two areas: Antohomadinika, a disadvantaged neighbourhood in the city centre, and Andramiarana, a small region near rice paddies on the outskirts of the city.
In 2019, ATD restructured its mission in the country to focus on three main themes:
- Holding meetings between people experiencing extreme poverty and others including community groups, government workers, and local administrative offices.
- Helping vulnerable people achieve independence and take control of their lives to improve their own future and that of their children.
- Changing how society, the media, and others view families in poverty in order to improve public policy at all levels to ensure that no one is left behind.
To achieve these goals, the ATD team in Madagascar conducts four kinds of activities:
- Providing long-term support to 24 priority families to improve life for each individual and for the family as a whole by addressing rights to decent housing, education, healthcare, work, culture, etc.
- Hosting group activities such as the People’s University, Street Libraries, Tapori network activities; supporting children and teens; and running the MMM (Working and Learning Together) program of occupational training and personal development. All of these group activities involve the 24 priority families, as well as all the families in the two neighbourhoods where ATD Fourth World works.
- Speaking out, communicating, and partnering with the government and civil society groups so that new programs and policies take into account the ideas and experiences of people living in poverty.
- Supporting people who want to help overcome extreme poverty by working with ATD Fourth World or in their own networks. This involves joint training sessions and other mutual support activities.
The ATD Fourth World team posts news regularly at facebook.com/ATD.Mada/